Working as part of a specialist professional team you will be responsible for the installation, calibration and operation of navigation (satellite and acoustics) and multibeam systems on a variety of projects. You will utilise QPS QINSy acquisition software and products from leading manufacturers and software developers including IXBlue, Sonardyne, Applanix, C-Nav, Hemisphere, Leica, Teledyne, Kongsberg, EIVA and ESRI aboard a range of inshore and offshore survey vessels to collect, process and report high quality Bathymetry, LiDAR and positioning datasets to a range of clients who operate in the marine environment.
As a surveyor your responsibilities also encompass working with the projects’ leadership to maximise the efficiency of the project and execute the survey to ensure that the clients’ scope of work is completed to highest possible standard.
Mixed Contract Summary
Splitting your time between offshore and office roles you will be based at our head office where you will be expected to supplement the dedicated processing teams, support current offshore operations and assist in the planning of future operations working alongside the commercial and management teams. You will also be involved with inhouse improvement and development initiatives. For this role the Site / Office Split will be 50/50.
Key benefits: Pension and private health care, professional accreditation subscription, flexible office working.
Site Contract Summary
The majority of your time will be spent offshore executing survey acquisition. You will also be expected to attend vessels off contract to perform survey equipment setup installations and implement improvement and development trials. A portion of your time will also be spent working at our head office or remotely to support future operations planning and improvement and development initiatives.
For this role the Site / Office Split will be 85/15
Key benefits: Pension and private health care, professional accreditation subscription, no relocation requirement if residing in the EU.
- As a minimum, candidates should have a university degree in either a survey/marine related discipline. Physics, mathematics or geosciences related degrees will also be considered.
- Where candidates do not possess a relevant university degree relevant vocational experience will be considered such as engineering and hydrographic survey roles within the Armed Forces.
- A minimum of 1-2 years relevant industry experience is required which should include installation, setup and calibration of hydrographic survey equipment, online acquisition, continual data quality assessment and offline processing of hydrographic data.
- A working knowledge of common UK and EU coordinate systems, transformations and vertical datums is highly desirable.
- Good English language skills are required; and excellent computer literacy and a valid UK driving license is advantageous.
- Aptitude toward writing technical and scientific reports and presenting data is also highly desirable.
- Experience in QINSy and QIMERA or equivalent acquisition and processing packages, CAD/GIS, script programming and electrical engineering are all desirable.
- Previous experience of executing and planning operations safely is highly desirable; prior experience operating and on workboats is also desirable.
- Vessel based fieldwork can vary from a few days to several weeks depending on the project, therefore an ability to spend periods of time on site and away from home is essential.
- Our wide operational remit will require you to be adaptable and innovative in your approach to problem solving using a range of current and emerging technologies.
- Candidates must be eligible to work in the UK/EU, reside within the EU, have access to a UK bank account and be able to provide a UK National Insurance No.
Bibby HydroMap facilitates bespoke career progression pathways for all its employees. Starting from the ground up with apprenticeships, placements and internships all the way through to senior management levels. We enable development through specific training courses both inhouse and external, but mostly by placing you in at the sharp end of operations, learning “on-the-job” firstly whilst shadowing appropriate personnel then working underneath a competent surveyor who has adopted the Party Chief/Project Lead role for the specific project. This approach places you in a position of responsibility and accountability quickly, making you and effective and productive member of the team and allowing you to progress and learn based on real world experience whilst maintaining the appropriate level of support should it be required.
We also facilitate secondments into other teams and departments and encourage leadership development opportunities via specific project requirements where our site and office personnel take on the temporary roles of Party Chief, Reporting Coordinator, Sensor Lead and Project Lead.
An effective appraisal process sets and monitors your yearly objectives; and approachable, available line managers maintain regular updates with you for both professional and personal development needs.
A Senior Surveyor will act as your permanent line manager and be responsible for conducting appraisals and periodic catch ups; and assisting you through your career progression at Bibby HydroMap
People are the most important part of our business; we deliver on our objectives by living our Values. This means each of us, at all times, strive to:
- Work together: We understand the common long-term goals across our businesses, customers, suppliers and people and we work towards them as a team.
- Be better: We challenge ourselves to be the best, finding new ways to improve everything we do today.
- Be innovative: We do everything possible to look ahead, to anticipate customer needs and deliver innovative solutions.
- Do the right thing: At all times we do the right thing, providing a quality and safe service, acting responsibly for our people, customers and the communities in which we work.
- Trust each other: We trust and empower our people to deliver the right outcomes for our business.
Why you should join us
Bibby HydroMap is an equal opportunities employer, offering a very competitive salary (strictly based on experience), and provide an attractive benefits package, including private health insurance and a company pension scheme. Bibby HydroMap invests in personnel through the Career Development Academy; offering mentoring, guidance, training and opportunities for professional development through further academic learning. Employees are also offered the opportunity to join a professional body such as the Geological Society or the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors.
Previously named Osiris Projects, the company was acquired by Bibby Marine in 2012; a family-owned, locally headquartered company with over 200 years’ experience in the maritime industry. Rebranding to Bibby HydroMap in 2015, the company has retained autonomy, but now benefits from the backing and support of the international Bibby Line Group. The company is undergoing a period of significant growth, and our strategy is centred on both developing our core competencies and diversifying into new markets, both by discipline and geographically. For employees, this growth offers exciting opportunities and prospects for the future.
or in writing attaching a CV to:
Maritime House, 4 Brunel Road.
Croft Business Park, Bromborough
Wirral CH62 3NY
Please note offers to all new starters of the company will be subject to pre-employment checks.