As a Project Geophysicist within Bibby HydroMap, you will be a member of an integrated team involved in the acquisition and production of high quality side scan sonar, seismic and magnetometer data. Working both onboard our fleet of advanced survey vessels and in our head office in Bromborough, you will be responsible for the installation and operation of survey equipment and software, the collection and quality control of data in line with company standards and procedures, followed by data processing and reporting tasks on site.
You will be a driven, organised individual with a drive to improve procedures and techniques on site to ensure that client expectations are met and exceeded where possible. When required, your will perform the duties of a Party Chief, and will be expected to mentor, supervise, and train others within the team, including contracted personnel on occasion. The successful candidate will be able to identify risks and ensure suitable corrective actions used, as part of a project HIRA, utilising the company QHSE procedures alongside a good working knowledge of safe working practices.
Job Role Duties
- Review of scopes of work and project documentation when assigned to a project.
- Responsible for installing survey systems, equipment and sensors.
- Assist or solve technical issues.
- Assist in the evolution of company procedures and method statements. This includes, but not limited to, vessel survey setups, calibration, data collection and processing procedures.
- Acquire, process, report and quality control of data aboard a range of survey vessels to agreed timescales.
- Adhere to Bibby HydroMap technical procedures, including data logging and quality control checks.
- Assist Project Manager with preparation, operational planning and data processing and reporting within the project environment.
- Ensure that the work is performed according to Bibby HydroMap HSEQ procedures and policies. Carry out toolbox talks.
- Deal with commercially sensitive data and client information in a confidential manner.
- Make sure data is handled and organised in accordance with BHL procedures.
- Work closely as part of a team.
- Carry out the role of Party Chief when needed
- When required, visit the office for project start up meetings and project handovers.
- Supporting the Operations and Procesing and Reporting Managers to ensure that best practice is adopted within the survey department.
- Supervision of Interns, Graduate and main grade team members within your specialism.
- Carry out in-house training.
- Act in a professional, safe and appropriate manner at all times.
- Candidates should have a university degree in either a geophysics related discipline
- Relevant industry experience (2-5 years minimum) is required.
- Vessel based fieldwork can vary from a few days to several weeks depending on the project, therefore an ability to spend periods of time on site and away from home is essential. Additional office based work, will be required in between vessel based fieldwork, although site-based roles are available for suitable candidates.
- Experience in CODA acquisition and processing software is advantageous.
- ESRI ArcGIS and CAD skills are advantageous.
- Full, clean Driving License.
People are the most important part of our business; we deliver on our objectives by living our Values. This means each of us, at all times, strive to:
- Work together: We understand the common long-term goals across our businesses, customers, suppliers and people and we work towards them as a team.
- Be better: We challenge ourselves to be the best, finding new ways to improve everything we do today.
- Be innovative: We do everything possible to look ahead, to anticipate customer needs and deliver innovative solutions.
- Do the right thing: At all times we do the right thing, providing a quality and safe service, acting responsibly for our people, customers and the communities in which we work.
- Trust each other: We trust and empower our people to deliver the right outcomes for our business.
Why you should join us
Bibby HydroMap is an equal opportunities employer, offering a very competitive salary (strictly based on experience), and provide an attractive benefits package, including private health insurance and a company pension scheme. Bibby HydroMap invests in personnel through the Career Development Academy; offering mentoring, guidance, training and opportunities for professional development through further academic learning. Employees are also offered the opportunity to join a professional body such as the Geological Society or the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors.
Previously named Osiris Projects, the company was acquired by Bibby Marine in 2012; a family-owned, locally headquartered company with over 200 years’ experience in the maritime industry. Rebranding to Bibby HydroMap in 2015, the company has retained autonomy, but now benefits from the backing and support of the international Bibby Line Group. The company is undergoing a period of significant growth, and our strategy is centred on both developing our core competencies and diversifying into new markets, both by discipline and geographically. For employees, this growth offers exciting opportunities and prospects for the future.
or in writing attaching a CV to:
Maritime House, 4 Brunel Road.
Croft Business Park, Bromborough
Wirral CH62 3NY
Applications must be submitted by 30 March 2018.
Please note offers to all new starters of the company will be subject to pre-employment checks.